To My Loving Unni Chechi (Sister) ....

We wait for the vacations to come to go to my Grand Mothers home... 
To meet the whole Family...
To play in the Paddy Fields...
To take bath in the River...
To play with Cows, Goats and Hens....
To lie on my Grandma's big tummy....
To get the love and attention of all the other family members....

It is a great thing for them to see us as we come from the city to the village ... 
They consider us privileged or something special....
Anyway we used to get a lot of attention.....

There are limited buses to the village once in few hours only one bus... 
Few times I have walked 5 to 8 miles in the nights when we miss the last bus....
I still remember my aunt and uncle used to walk all the way back to the village the day they drop us in the railway station when we have return back ....
They were so cute, innocent, loving they would pack all the jackfruits, mangoes and all other special items from the home for us to carry when we go back...

Going back always was a pain.... 
Still remember Heart will bust with tears....
To Leave my Grand Mom, Aunt, particularly my elder Sister....

She is a chubby and short little one ...
We shared a special rapport always ...  Because i am the eldest i always get lot of scolding from my mother ...  so i got lot of sympathy from the whole family especially from her....

She is our guide, our friend, our advisor in these trips...
She will take us to the Mango Groves ... Cashew Groves...
Eat lot of Cashew Fruits/Mangoes/Amlas and many... Eat full stomach... Steal a bag full of mangoes...
And of course have lot of Fun too....

In the Evening the traditional Children's' prayer with the name of all Stars and Gods...
All children sleep together in the night which was the best part...
I used to love this as we used to miss this in the city..
I still remember One night it was heavily raining, thundering and lighting...
She hold me tight and i slept on her tummy that night safe and secure....

There was cows, calves in our house also goats and hens ... 
Taking care of all these were the job of the children ...
Also to take care of the small chicks not being taken away by Eagles, Crows...
Protecting dogs chasing our hens, or the other Roosters attacking our Roosters...
Bringing food for the Goats and the Cows...
Life was filled with activities and thrills in the Village ....
One day a cow jumped the fence and i went to bring it ... It looked like it was obeying me...
Suddenly it decided to run.. thinking i can control it, i held the rope tight and got dragged on the top of the hillock.....

The best part was our everyday morning trip to the river... 
Through the Railway tracks...
Through the Paddy fields....
We Play all along and reach the River...
 To Play in the Sand, Collect shells
To Swim and Play in the Water and finally take bath and walk back hurry and hungry ...
Some Day Sister has work so she cannot join....

One of the most memorable part was the offering we do every year to the goddess(Pallathu Bhagavathi) near the river...
We will take all the raw materials from home in the morning ....
We will make a natural stove with stones, use the sticks, dry paddy and coconut leaves for cooking the sweet porridge to offer to the Goddess....
Some one from the family will offer prayers, break the coconut, light the lamp, finally burn the camphor and finish the prayers...
And we wait for the Sweet Porridge to be eaten from there and back home...

One such day after the prayers, we were taking the hot porridge back home through the paddy fields.  As my Sister is the eldest in the home she was carrying in the shoulders... Suddenly she slipped and the hot porridge fell on her shoulders... She cried in pain... I was so sad.. Some blamed her for being careless.. Some said the Goddess was not happy ... But I was sad for my Sister... I loved her....

We go in to one blanket and play... I was like a tail on her back wanted to accompany every where.. 
Go to the shop a mile way and buy the groceries ... They used to pack it in big teak wood leaves....
We take a stick and walk in the whole village like Kings and Queens... Play in the Ponds... Sometime catch the butterflies.... and then release them.....

Many more memories....

Today I don't connect back to my Sister much... But Still... I feel She is mine... And i love her so much ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Prayer to find my Sister Who I never Knew

I Live For You I live

In search of the Ego that lost in the Chennai Floods…